Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Restaurants in Barcelona: Wushu






Pictures by Me

There are few places in Barcelona that carry the important three Bs. Those Bs being Spanish ofcourse: bueno, bonito and barato. In other words, good, pretty and cheap. Wushu, an Asian-fusion restaurant, is conveniently located on Avenida Marqués de l´Argentera right on the edge of Borne and Barceloneta neighborhoods.

Sure there are places in Barcelona one can eat decent food but at what price? Luckily, today there are more and more trendy looking restaurants, with okay food and not too expensive. I wouldn't go as far as calling many of them cheap, however.

Wushu, on the other hand, is cheap. For 12€, the lunch menu provides a three-course meal including a drink and a coffee or tea. I always start with the Asian salad, a nice mixture of flavors and textures that cleanse the palette. Then, the second course might vary by week or month. But there is usually a chicken, meal, vegetarian and seafood dish. Even if there is no room for dessert, I manage to find space. It's hard to resist any one of their homemade creations. Some of the past have been small individual portions of: strawberry cheescake, apple-crumble, carrot cake with icecream and chocolate mousse. Although not on the lunch menu, every now and then I opt for the brownie with peanut-flavored ice cream.

Food might be the number one thing to consider when choosing a restaurant, but I prefer the dining experience overall.

Because servers in Spain are paid on a wage based on salary and not tips like in the US, they’re minimally motivated to give satisfactory service. But the ladies at Wushu are the opposite. They always try to squeeze me into a table, check back on their guests and once even brought me milk and a napkin to help me when I got chili-pepper in my eye.

I’ve been a regular at Wushu since my first time visiting back in October 2009. Ever since then a week doesn’t pass by that I don’t come here for lunch with the adoptive brothers or with others. Every person I have brought along gets hooked to the place and sooner or later revisits on their own.

1 comment:

  1. Esta nueva entrega es un excelente dato, tanto para la gente local como para los turistas. Tu columna es amena, directa y el texto de ésta (Restaurants in Barcelona: Wushu) refleja la preopcupación y gusto del cliente exigente; justo y dispuesto a reconocer las bondades que ofrece el lugar.

    Gracias por la recomendación y Bravo por la ejecucción !!!

    Karin

    ReplyDelete